Conversion of former Blacksmiths Arms and Restaurant into two dwellings

This grade II listed building, originally an Inn and Smithy dating from the early 18th century, had major modifications carried out in 1893 and further conversion to a restaurant in 1967.

The buildings had fallen in to a poor state of repair having been redundant for 9 years.


Date Commenced: November 2013

Date Completed: April 2015

Designed by: McNeil, Beechey, O’Neill Architects, YORK

A major renovation and conversion was carried out for a local developer to form two new dwellings, all elements of the building required updating to current Building Regulation standards the methods and detailing had to take in to account the Listed Building status. Many of the original features have been retained, some at the direction of the listed buildings officer.

Atkinson Builders Ltd provided the required information to satisfy the planning and listed building conditions.

The works included:

• New floors
• Staircases
• Insulated Wall Linings
• Doors and Windows
• Re roofing
• Mechanical and Electrical
• Underfloor Heating
• Painting and Decorating
• Landscaping
• Drainage

We’ve created a stylish and newly converted Grade II listed cosy four bedroom character period property with a wealth of character including beamed ceilings, exposed stone walls, and featuring the original old blacksmiths range with modern wood burning stove to the sitting room. Forge Cottage has the benefit of sealed unit double glazing, under-floor heating to the ground floor and central heating to the first floor.

Outside, there is car standing for two cars, plus an enclosed lawned rear garden with a stone and pantiled outbuilding, small lawned garden to the front.